-- --

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

All You Can Eat

24 Hour Deli Counter
Photo by myself, somewhere in Harlem.

Mark and I were driving by this weekend when I snapped this photo. This deli counter faces the street. From the looks of it, you can get flavored coffee, 6-foot heroes, ice cream on a stick, birthday cakes and donuts anytime, day or night.

--

This weekend, Mark and I grilled hot dogs from Fairway. They were the long, skinny all-beef franks you might get on the streets, which are also called Sabrett dogs. But these weren't Sabretts.

You see the Sabrett name on little hot dog carts all over the city. They have a natural casing that becomes taut from cooking, which deliver a particular texture. When you bite into the dog, it 'snaps' open. They are delicious.

Mark and I had one dog each, with a lot of mustard and a bit of ketchup. It tasted like a Sabrett. It was delicious. It was divine.

About an hour later, I wound up sitting in a hot bath. My feet and face were unbearably itchy. I wound up scrubbing my feet until they were bright pink and nearly raw.

I must have had an allergic reaction to the nitrates used as preservatives. Mark felt generally fine but a little queasy. Next time we go to Fairway, I'll let the management know my experience.

And next time, I'll have a Sabrett.


Apologies for my slow response to comments these days, and my poor showing at peoples' blogs. It's been a busy time!

Related posts: Meat, The Mother of All Supermarkets and How You Can Have What You Crave When You Want It

13 comments:

Patrizia said...

Looks nice. Makes me hungry (almost lunch time here)!

Carolyn said...

That's a one stop shop for sure!

Carolyn

Anonymous said...

taut?

Mom Knows Everything said...

Don't worry about it, we all get really busy from time to time. looking at that picture makes me want a donut now.

Ha Ha Sound said...

The next time you decide to grill hot dogs, you should drive out to NJ to get this special kind of Sabretts that only's available in the Garden State. It's the Windmill variety, and they're made specifically for a small chain of restaurants called the Windmill. Fancy that.

Happy spring.

Sid said...

Ice-cream on a stick?

Mab said...

Hi Kitty! Could you tell me what is a 6 foot hero? You look as if you're spoilt for choice over there,I could have a whale of a time.Brilliant.

Mab :)

Anonymous said...

The deli looks like the kind of place I would visit when I was really hungry.

Anonymous said...

The photo makes it look like that deli specializes in signage!

Well, at least your allergic reaction wasn't to something you really love to eat all the time! (I made the mistake of eating 2 hot dogs during our bbq - never again!)

Kitty said...

Hi Patrizia
I wish I had time to take a look behind the counter. Maybe next time.

Hi Carolyn
Not bad, eh, for a sidewalk stand?

Thanks anon, lol. I've corrected my spelling.

Thanks Tammy
I don't have a sweet tooth, but I wouldn't mind a donut. YUM!

Haha, nice seeing you!
I will have to do that. I've never seen the Windmill restaurants before. Hmmm!

Hi Sid
Yeah, ice cream on sticks, like popsicles, strawberry shortcakes and chocolate eclairs.

Hi Mab
The 6-footer is a big sandwich on crusty Italian bread. They come in many flavors, like meatball, or cold cuts, with loads of toppings like lettuce, oil and vinegar, jalepeno peppers. Not terribly healthy if you're eating it alone, but really delicious!

Hi Mr Lincoln
lol, this is precisely the kind of place I'd stay away from if I were hungry because I'd do myself harm.

True, Spandrel. Thank goodness for that. I have learned my lesson and have a one dog limit.

sonia a. mascaro said...

Nice and yummy photo!

Kitty said...

Thanks Sonia!

Anonymous said...

A good social fine art.