-- --

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

Silhouette in Riverside Park
Photo by myself in Riverside Park on the Upper West Side, around 69th Street.

This structure, with its winches and chains, must have been used to load ships. Now it looks about to topple over. The Hudson River and New Jersey are in the background.

--

We've had some beautiful days here in New York.

Yesterday for the move, it was gloriously sunny. Mark and I were walking to his apartment in Greenpoint when we encountered two of his neighborhood buddies. One is an artist who works as a creative director by day. The other escaped a tough life in LA and will soon be a Greenpoint restauranteur.

We all stood on the sidewalk, reminiscing about how empty the neighborhood had been just three years ago. Now it's hopping.

'It's become Williamsburg,' one of the fellas said, referring to the trendy neighborhood next door.

'You get out of the subway and there's a ton of people,' said the other, holding his hands out wide.

I said goodbye to the cat who lives in the corner bodega. He was asleep on a box of detergent but was good enough to crack open a yellowy eye. At the cashier, I ran into one of the women who had helped rescue the homeless cats with me last fall. The grey cat in her care has been adjusting well.

Small world. Saying goodbye to Greenpoint was bittersweet. We had our frustrations with finding consistent restaurants, and how sleepy it was at times. But the people were great. Despite what you might think about big cities, you can get to know your neighbors.

Finally, we said our farewells to Mark's downstairs neighbors, his landlord and another neighbor down the street. Then we packed up the fish and motored off.

'Well that's the last pizza we'll have in old Greenpoint,' Mark said.

I assured him he was wrong. No, we'd be back for pizza and a beer soon enough. I can't imagine never going back.

16 comments:

Mab said...

I like the dark silhouette of the photo.

Carolyn said...

What a great pic!

Carolyn

Kitty said...

Thanks Mab and Carolyn!

Gudl said...

That is an interesting photo!
I also like the way you write. I wish you the best for the new home!

Profile Not Available said...

I always enjoy reading your posts! Today's photo was very peaceful...beautiful shot!

Profile Not Available said...

I always enjoy reading your posts! Today's photo was very peaceful...beautiful shot!

Anonymous said...

That photo is great - I love industrial landscapes. What an intriguing structure it is. I would have to investigate if I were there.

Hope the move has all been completed successfully. It is always a good thing to have good weather for such things. It always feels sad to say goodbye to a place even when you are positive about the change itself.

It's been glorious here - everyone has broken out into shorts. Funny to see all these pasty white legs on display.

Jane Hards Photography said...

It's almost a liquid light as opposed to the opaque light I get.So fluid. Again, you convey space to breathe can be found it the busiest of cities.

Mom Knows Everything said...

Amazing picture Kitty!

Ming the Merciless said...

I used to go to Greenpoint for good Polish food. I love bosch and pirogies. Oh and kielbasas.

Ming the Merciless said...

I'm dedicating this song to you and Mark.

Click Here

Kitty said...

Thanks Gudl for the kind wishes!

Thanks Kelly!
It's a ruin in a peaceful area. Tons of runners, cyclists and dog walkers about. I should go back for more photos.

Hi RB
You're so right. Change is tough, even when you welcome it.
I love the pasty white legs! lol.

Hi Babooshka
Thanks muchly. It was sunset and so pretty over there.

Thanks Tammy!

Ming, haha, I've not had a song dedicated to me before. Thanks!

Greenpoint is supercool. I love its authenticity and I hope it never changes.

Anonymous said...

I love the silhouette effect of this pic :)

The move sounds like a successful one. It always helps to have great weather on moving days, much less stressful!

It's hard to let go of a place that you have lived for quite sometime. It's been one year since we moved away but we still find little excuses to revisit the old neighbourhood. Be it for photography, coffee, a walk by the beach, a slice of pizza...

Kitty said...

Thanks PP
Yes, those days when it's super hot and humid, I think about the people who have to move. Eek.
After a while, it's easy to want it all. I want everything and every place!

The D in D & T said...

stunning silhouette, beautiful sky.

Kitty said...

Thank you, D!