-- --

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Food on the Brain

Fairway delivery
Photo by myself outside Fairway on the Upper West Side.

Every week or so, deliveries arrive at this popular supermarket. There are boxes and boxes piled along the sidewalk, wrapped in plastic. This location on the Upper West Side at Broadway and 74th Street is just one location for this small New York chain.

--

Tomorrow (Thursday) Mark and I have to leave early for California. Our flight leaves at 6:30 am, where we're going to attend my brother's wedding.

But tonight, it was the season finale for Top Chef. We still had to pack. We still had to figure out the cat situation. We still had to sleep.

Mark kept pacing about. 'What are we going to do? It's the finale!'

And there we were, sitting on the couch, debating soup versus foie gras, whether Richard choked or not, who was the best chef, and how a decision could possibly be based on one meal.

I'll be bringing the camera and computer to LA with us. I can't promise any wedding photos, but I'll certainly take some images of the beach.

Hopefully it won't be so doggone humid.

Related posts: Food for Thought, A Bit More on Celebrity, Past and Present and Confessions of a TV Junkie.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Despite what the judges said, I'm convinced they did *not* make the judgment based solely on that singular meal. And that's fine by me - I've been a fan of Stephanie's for a while, now.

The comments they showed on-screen were so skewed toward Lisa's dishes, they couldn't possibly have decided based on that one meal the two prepared.

I think they simply judged Stephanie as a far more accomplished -- and talented -- chef.

Terry at Blue Kitchen said...

Nice photo, Kitty. I love, love, love Fairway Market. Whenever we're in New York we try to stay on the UWS, usually at the Milburn Hotel in a suite with a tiny kitchen. Then we can shop at the Fairway on Broadway and eat some meals at the hotel. Partly it gives us a little down time, but mainly it lets us pretend we live in New York for a moment.

Eva said...

Aww, food! ;-)

I really enjoy your picture. There is something so vital about small markets that flow out onto the sidewalk.

Dana said...

Have a safe trip! and yes, it is not humid or muggy out here in southern california at all! perfect weather in the 70s today.. ENJOY!

Ha Ha Sound said...

If you're not sure what to do with your cat while you're away, you should board him/her at the Cat Practice in the Flatiron District. I use them for my own cat. Email me if you want the info (but you should be able to find it with a simple Google search).

Kitty said...

Thanks Tammy!

Hi Spandrel
Interesting theory. I guess Richard is more idea-based, while Stephanie focused on the flavors? I like Stephanie, though I couldn't remember her name til the last couple of episodes.

Welcome Terry!
Wonderful looking blog. I'll have to read more when I get home.

I think my parents stayed at the Milburn once and it was great with the kitchenette. We'd found it by accident and could never find it again. They have the option for longer stays, too, which is unusual.

Hi Eva
You would adore Fairway, I think. I can't seem to stop posting about it. It's unlike Whole Foods or Dean and Deluca, in that it has tons of stuff without being pretentious.

Thanks Dana
You're so lucky. I can't imagine weather like this most of the year. Mark and I have been shuffling about in a daze because it's so lovely.

Hi Ha Ha
Thanks for the lead! I'll have to keep that one in mind. We're only away for a few days, so I think she'll be okay.
Sounds perfect for longer trips.

• Eliane • said...

This is my local market. Deliveries take place daily, several times a day actually. Hope you enjoyed your California trip!

Kitty said...

Hi Elaine
You're lucky! I used to live a few blocks away. I love this place.

I go back now and again because I miss it so.