-- --

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Running Amok in the Streets

Chinatown, NYC
Photo by myself in Chinatown, Brooklyn on Chinese New Year.

Believe it or not, there are kids in New York City. I don't photograph them a lot, usually because they're under the watchful eye of parents or I'm in a rush to get somewhere.

--

You see children on subways and on the streets - small, precocious creatures with big eyes and an air about them.

Kids grow up quickly in the city. Before their first birthdays, they're yabbering on the subway, or being pushed in strollers on crowded sidewalks.

By the time they're ten, they know their way around. They've seen it all. Often I see them walking alone to school or riding the subway, unaccompanied.

Related posts: On the Sidewalk, Chinatown, One Dollar, One Dollar and Live, From Chinatown.

5 comments:

Fredrik said...

Nice moment! I wonder what it would be like to grow up in a city like NYC. I mean, when you've seen it, everything else must feel so insignificant.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I guess you have to be a bit careful taking photos of children.

It's funny what different lives children have according to where they live.

Kizz said...

Wow, I love that kid!

Donna j. Gehl said...

That is a great slice of life right there! Nice moment.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I was surprised to find out that my friend's son who is about 14 years old takes the subway by himself. Growing up in the city certainly can be an adventure.

Paz