-- --

Sunday, January 10, 2010

On Art and Music, Below Times Square

Guitar Player, Times Square
Photo by myself underground, at Times Square.

At the Times Square subway station, a bass player picked out a tune. He stood in front of one of many murals that adorn the subway tunnels, surrounded by a crowd of mosaic people.

--

One nice thing about the subways here in New York is that there's been a real effort to make each station distinctive. The newer renovations usually have a mosaic or sculpture that engage their viewers with bright colors or humor.

At the Times Square station, there are wall mosaics like the one pictured, as well as a mural by Roy Lichtenstein. There are also several vitrines filled with colorful ceramics and recessed into the walls.

Giant mosaic bugs and dinosaurs adorn the walls of the West 81st Street Station, near the Natural History Museum. At the 23rd Street station, hats and bonnets float in midair, which make little sense until commuters stand below them. There are even hats near the ground, just about the height of children and dogs.

I love taking photos of these installations, but there's so many of them (223 works, at this writing). For a comprehensive list and photos of all the art found below New York on the NYC subway site, click here.

Related posts: All that Jazz, Halloween Musicians and the NYC Marathon and On Music and Elephants Underground.

10 comments:

Susu Paris Chic said...

Art and music... these words sound so sweet in my ears. I couldn't live without either. I like the way you capture the ambiance of the 'here now, gone tomorrow' situation. That's performing arts in a public space. Wonderful and volatile.

Laura Cousins said...

It's probably the only place in the city where it is warm enough to play. This weather is cruel to a guitar-players fingers. I really love the 1930s-style mural. There are endless projects promoting public art here where I live but somehow I never seem to see the projects come to fruition.

Maybe I need to look harder.

dianasfaria.com said...

this is perfect. the musician seems lost in his music. nice shot Kitty.

Fredrik said...

Works very well together – I mean the guitar player and the workers on the wall. Well done!

fishwithoutbicycle said...

Great photo Kitty. My fave subway art are all the little people in the tiles on the Spring St platform of the 6 train, they never fail to make me smile :-)

Lori said...

I too have been so pleasantly surprised at the beautiful mosaics and sculptures in the subway. One of my favorite parts of the city so far.

Catz said...

Now that is a great picture!

Washington said...

What a great picture! I can almost hear the music!

Mixtapes said...

Nice blog, i like the post ny is so cultural will save and share.

R Tube said...

Thanks for the post.