-- --

Monday, February 8, 2010

Hopes and Prayers, at St. John the Divine

Cathedral of St. John, Interior
Photo by myself at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine, around 110th Street and Amsterdam.

Here's another photo from my tour of the Upper West Side. St. John the Divine is a gigantic cathedral which occupies an entire city block. Many votive candles were lit, some decorated with the cathedral logo.

The building is considered to be unfinished - it survived a fire in 2001 and is still being slowly renovated while remaining in use.

If you ever visit this place, let me know if you have the same experience as I did. When I walked up to the front door, all I could hear was the very loud chirping of birds. The birds sounded like they were buried inside the walls of the church. Very strange!

If you'd like to know more about this cathedral, here is a great site with some great photos.

Related posts: Peace to All, No Place is Perfect and Imagine, Central Park.

6 comments:

Pat said...

I love this church and visited it last summer.

Birds? The only one I heard was a white peahen, later joined by a brightly-colored peacock, who both paraded proudly behind the cathedral. No chirp, but lots of squawk.

dianasfaria.com said...

wow that is interesting, a peacock?
I'll have to check this place out.
I always light a candle when I go to church. Our church has the electric ones for safety. I like yours better Kitty.

Luis Gomez said...

Love this sort of shots. They are always very intense.

Unknown said...

Love the writhing on the glass! and yes indeed great shot!! merci.

irinapictures said...

I love the candle lights in the photos. Your photo is so intense and ascetic

Kitty said...

Hi Bibi

Seeing a peahen out there must have been startling. I was out in Riverside Park in that area and saw a beautiful rooster, with spectacular red/orange feathers. Maybe he knew your peahen?

Hi Lily
I think you'd love this cathedral. They have a service every October called the Blessing of the Animals, where people bring their pets! I'll have to remember to bring Rupert next year.

Thanks Luis!

Hi Jeanne
Welcome and thanks for visiting. I liked the writing too, especially in different languages.

Thanks Irina!