-- --

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

On 14th Street and the Annual No Pants Subway Ride

Twilight on 14th Street
Photo by myself on Third Avenue around 14th Street, near Union Square.

A photo from a while ago, when the skies were more blue than white-ish grey.

--

Monday morning I found out that I'd missed out on a terrific photo-op.

Sunday had been the 10th annual No Pants Subway Ride Day, instigated by a group called Improv Everywhere. I had spent most of the day inside with Rupert, since Mark was working. Shucks!!

Yes, about 3,500 slightly insane New Yorkers took off their pants in 32F degree weather and rode around on the subway. Wind gusts were 47 miles per hour, but of course, that's above ground.

The No Pants gig was coordinated with 50 cities all over the world, including Sydney, Brisbane and Wellington, so one didn't have to be freezing one's, eh....pants off, if you know what I mean.

For some videos of this Sunday's No Pants Day as well as those of previous years, click here for the Improv Everywhere site.

For a huge spread on the Boing Boing website, click here.

ps: A huge thank-you to my friend Lily Hydrangea for her post yesterday showing one of my photos. Lily has a lovely blog showing Long Island, just a stone's throw from Manhattan and Brooklyn. She takes day trips all over the place, so you really get a sense of the variety of the New York area.

For sticklers and to really confuse you, Brooklyn is located on Long Island. The Hamptons and several popular beaches are located there, too. Montauk can be found at the very eastern tip.

Related posts: More Free Hugs, in Union Square, The Lower Half of the Pants, in Park Slope, Brooklyn and Big Green Monster, in Midtown.

7 comments:

Olivier said...

j'adore voir les vidéos du "no pant subway", surtout la surprise des gens voyant le spectacle. En effet cela aurait valu une série de photos, par contre je savais pas que cela se faisait dans d'autres villes

biebkriebels said...

It is a funny habit, I don't know exactly why they put the pants out but you have to be a daredevil to do so. Some people look better than others....

Banjo52 said...

Have you heard about the penis festival in Japan? I heard about it from my son, who worked near that location for awhile. If you don't believe me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanamara_Matsuri

Makes you wonder what we all really want, doesn't it. Or is there nothing to wonder about?

Banjo52 said...

Kitty, if that was too racy, feel free (of course) to delete it. Ditto this one, from her Jan. 7 post (I think that's the date--the short series of the guy carrying flowers), a few charming photos, including one of a bizarre porch scene at a residence. Maybe the winter cold is making everybody a little . . . goofy?

http://portlandoregondailyphoto.blogspot.com/

Ken Mac said...

i would never know this is around 14th, looks like financial district. Beautiful sky capture. Kitty, my current pic was taken from the ambassador from Lichtenstein's apt, somewhere near UN. Really! I was doing an interview. Just a crazy apartment.

dianasfaria.com said...

I am sick of those whitish grey skies myself.
Kitty - that link was hysterical. I love how everyone looks so casual hanging out in their underwear.
& thanks for the thank you, but really, THANK YOU!
I can not wait to frame your work and look at it every day. The quality of both the photograph and the print is beautiful!

Leif Hagen said...

Looks like another day has almost come to an end in NYC!