-- --

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Sign of the Rat, in Midtown

Inflatable rat, Midtown
Photo by myself, somewhere in Midtown.

In the US, the inflatable rat is the sign of workers' trade unions. A fellow passing by was reading the sign posted on the rat.

Giant rats are left outside establishments by unions as a symbol to the public. I'm not sure what was being protested in this case. The red items in the foreground are a motor to keep the rat inflated and a gas tank.

In the recent past, most new buildings in New York were constructed by union workers. A recent article in the Times says that more non-union contractors are underbidding the unions in terms of cost.

For the article in the Times, click here.

Related posts: Inflatable Sheep, in Midtown, Funky Chicken, in Park Slope and What's Hoppin', in Park Slope, Brooklyn.

5 comments:

Olivier said...

il est encore là ce gros rat, je l'ai souvent rencontre pendant des manifestations de employes de la voirie new yorkaise. Il est impressionnant

Lou said...

Before the picture loaded I thought this post was about the rat in the chinese horoscope and I was about to say -that's my sign! Oh well! haha

I wonder why the rat is their symbol? :)

RedPat said...

I thought that it was going to be a Banskyesque rat! I had no idea they did this. A good way to get their point across peacefully.

Beatrice B. said...

oh my goodness!

www.seitenstrasse.blogspot.com

Nori Katayama said...

very funny picture! :)