-- --

Friday, April 20, 2012

Stampede, in Midtown

34th st commute Photo by myself, at 34th Street and 9th Avenue, in Midtown.

 Here's the typical morning rush hour - a bunch of people walking as quickly as possible, wearing serious expressions, eyes focused on some distance point ahead.

 I call this the 'don't mess with me look'. As you can see, the majority of guys don't wear suits to work. Business casual is more the norm.

 Likewise for women, high heels and stockings are rare. Many women wear tights in the colder months. As the weather warms up, sandals and bare legs are common, since it can get quite hot on the pavement.

--
I have to say that we are spoiled in America, where traffic and space operate on a completely different plane from Asia. The streets are so much narrower and less crowded in Manhattan (and of course, even less so in smaller US cities).

I'm traveling back from Beijing to LA. My fiance Mark is helping me post photos, in the meantime.

2 comments:

biebkriebels said...

No "Sex in the city" anymore. Here people look almost the same, it depends on the neighbourhood.

Ruth Hope said...

I walk to work through the back streets of Streatham in London. The streets are very quiet if I leave early enough (7.30). Ten minutes later and I bump into umpteen kids-and-Dads on the way to school. New York looks so busy all the time. Is it easy to take photos there? If I did that here people would notice - I'm not sure I'd get away with it! Loving your posts from Beijing.