-- --

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Portrait of an Artist, on the Ride Home

Artist, nyc
Photo by myself below ground.

On a recent ride home, I spotted a young woman drawing diligently in a sketchbook. From where I sat, it looked to be an array of very detailed serpents.

It was late, much too late to be so focused after a long day of work. I learned that she is a textile designer and uses the ride home to escape the computer screen. 'Drawing by hand, you learn not to be so precious,' she told me, as the train lurched to one side.

She was so kind to pose for a photo. Alas, I regret not asking her name!

Related posts: Portrait of a Barber, in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, Portrait of a Guy, on Sixth Avenue, and Portrait of a Bike Messenger, in Midtown.

The Portrait Series is a once-in-a-while installment, featuring New Yorkers encountered on the street.

4 comments:

s.c said...

The more famous artists have always a sketchbook at hand. Great portrait Kitty.

biebkriebels said...

The handcraft is much more satisfactory than a computer screen I suppose. Nice photo.

Stefan Jansson said...

Nice public transport portrait.

RedPat said...

Good for her!